I have my husband to blame or thank for this wonderful hobby! It was back in 2007 when James introduced me to the world of comping. James had received a marketing letter from a company called Oxfordshire Press introducing their competition service offering a free trial, James thought it might be something that would interest me. I was a little bit skeptical at first but because it was a 30 day free trial I signed up and thought why not, I had nothing to lose.
After my 30 day free trial I had become hooked on entering competitions and decided to subscribe to the My Comps service. When I became pregnant in 2009 I made the decision to cancel my subscription with money being a little tight. I really missed my weekly dose of competitions and found it even harder to enter competitions when my baby boy was born arriving 8 weeks premature. I decided to take a break from comping and spent all my time taking care of Alfie, keeping a house and juggling work alongside family life.
When Alfie turned 1 I decided to return to my hobby and I dedicated all my evenings to comping once I’d settled Alfie to bed. In all the years that I’ve been comping I’ve won so many competitions, my first big win was a mobile phone won in an Argos competition, I then went on to win a solid oak coffee table for my mum worth £200. I’ve also won other big prizes, the best one being a Play station 4 for my 2 sons.
I love my hobby so much, it allows me to win prizes I wouldn’t normally be able to afford. I love that I can win prizes for my children and also gift items to friends and family. I keep all my winning emails and all of my winning letters are filed neatly in a special folder, from time to time I look through my folder and can’t believe how much I’ve won.
I now have 3 children, Alfie is now 7, Charlie is 4 and we recently welcomed our daughter into the world, Daisy is almost 9 months. In the first few months of Daisy arriving I won a Braun Thermo Scan Digital Thermometer, a Vicks mini cool mist humidifier, a bottle/soother set and a Organix weaning hamper, some amazing prizes for when you’ve just had a baby!
Times have changed quite a bit since I first started comping, quite a lot of my entries used to be by postcard but not so much now due to the price of stamps! I find that 95% of my wins now come from social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
I’m hoping my big win is just around the corner, I’m hoping for a family holiday to Disney Land which would be amazing or a cash lump sum but I’m not fussy, any win will do. I’m hoping my story will encourage people to get into comping, it’s such a rewarding hobby and there are hundreds of genuine competitions out there, you just have to enter them to be in with a chance of winning. People say I’m really lucky but I don’t think it’s to do with luck, it’s more like a number game, the more you enter the more chance you’ve got of winning. If you’re willing to put the time and effort in then you will definitely be rewarded.
I thought it would be fun to share with you my top 10 best wins and my top ten funniest wins.
- Apple iMAC computer – Won with Tate Gallery
- Play station 4 – Won on Facebook with Walkers Crisps Snap & Share promotion
- Antibes Coffee Table – Won with Halo Furnishings
- Sony Xperia Mobile Phone – Won with Argos
- Vtriker Elite Flicker Bike – I think this was won with a kids magazine
- Tom Tom Via 135M Europe Sat Nav – Won online with The Guardian
- £100 Tesco Voucher – Won on Facebook with Car Spring
- £100 to spend online with Create and Craft
- £100 iTunes Voucher – Won through Morrison’s
- Braun Thermo Scan baby thermometer – Won online with Made For Mums
- Diet Gel – Won with Chat Magazine
- Ready to roll Icing – Won on Twitter with Renshaw Baking
- Russian Silversmiths Hallmark book – Won with Antiques & Collectables Magazine
- Hair Clip Extensions (Blonde) – Won with Love Your Hair
- Phil Smith Blonde Shampoo & Conditioner (Continuing with the blonde theme!)
- Tea Pigs organic Tea bags – Won with Jamie’s magazine
- One Direction Shoes – Won with Top of the pops magazine
- TV Wipes – Won with Guard Pack Ltd on Twitter
- Spider Ring – Won on Facebook with Me & Zena
- 6 month supply of pet litter – Won with The Kitchen Garden Magazine